FINAL Public Meeting, this Saturday 23 May 2015 @ South Hurstville, 3pm start!Posted: May 20, 2015
Get the Facts
Saturday 23 May 2015
St Mark’s Hall
10 The Mall, South Hurstville
Dear Kogarah Residents, This is the last community run meeting before the closing date for your submissions about the proposed changes to the draft LEP. We are inviting everyone to join us this Saturday, 23 May 2015, at St Mark’s Hall, 10 The Mall, South Hurstville at 3:00 pm.
We have only days left to voice our concerns in a written submission to Kogarah Council. We want you to get writing – this is for our future! To encourage you to lodge a submission, we have included a number of community concerns that have been raised with us in sample letter of objection (PDF download here). We strongly encourage you however, to write your own letter using your local knowledge of a particular area and provide your reasons why you support or object to the proposal/s.
To see how you, your neighbours, where you work, where your children go to school and your community as a whole is affected, view the Kogarah Housing Strategy, with this link to the PDF file: Kogarah Housing Strategy 2031 (PDF Download)
The kogarah.org affiliated community groups, request that when residents write their submissions, they make the request for a Public Hearing. A Public Hearing would be held soon after the exhibition period has closed, conducted by an independent adjudicator, to report on matters raised. This report would be considered before the LEP changes have been decided by Kogarah Council.
A person making a submission during the public exhibition of a planning proposal can also request that (Kogarah City Council) conducts a public hearing into the issues raised in their submission. [Environmental Planning & Assessment Act s. 57(5)].
You must also disclose in your letter, if you have made a reportable political donation in the past two (2) years. If you have, a form can be found on Council’s website to be completed and attached to your submission.
The New City Plan is not the solution, it will create more problems Council has got the planning WRONG: Kogarah City Council’s New City Plan claims to be planning for the future. But here are the facts:
- it doesn’t align with the State’s plan for Sydney’s growth over the next 20 years – sub-regional plans for Kogarah as a ‘strategic centre’ won’t be drafted until mid this year;
- it is not accommodating housing targets set by the State – no targets are set for Kogarah LGA;
- it doesn’t take into account the need for additional open space or playing fields for an increased population, and no improvements to infrastructure and facilities have been planned;
- it ignores NSW Government Department of Planning guidelines which discourage developments near busy roads due to the serious health risks associated with traffic noise, pollution and vehicle emissions;
- it will create loss of privacy and overshadowing from multi-storey buildings in low scale residential areas, but no solar access or wind studies have been conducted;
- it will bring thousands more cars into Kogarah LGA streets, but no traffic or parking studies have guided the drafting of the LEP. Photo: The Princes Highway, Kogarah and surrounds now: parking problems, traffic congestion and gridlock.
Have your say before it’s too late
If you object to any of the proposed changes to the Kogarah LEP, you must give your reasons in a letter and send it to Kogarah City Council, before 5:00pm, Friday, May 29 2015. Send your letter by post to: New City Plan Kogarah City Council Locked Bag 8 Kogarah NSW 2217 or by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Take action now: Your voice is powerful – make it heard!
Tell your Councillors to take part in this community meeting and discussion about the changes proposed throughout Kogarah’s environment.
Call or write to your Kogarah City Councillors:
Cr Stephen Agius
Mob: 0419 556 023
Cr Nick Katris
Mob: 0419 402 191
Cr Lachlan McLean
Mob: 0419 555 863
Cr Nickolas Varvaris (Emeritus Mayor)
Ph: 9330 9503
Cr Kathryn Landsberry
Mob: 0419 984 934
Cr Nathaniel Smith
Mob: 0418 224 291
Cr Nicholas Aroney
Mob: 0419 418 199
Cr George Katsabaris
Mob: 0418 129 871
Cr Jacinta Petroni
Mob: 0414 609 957
Cr Michael Platt (Mayor)
Mob: 0419 406 168
Cr Annie Tang (Deputy Mayor)
Mob: 0409 240 760
Cr Sam Stratikopoulos
Mob: 0418 293 672
Call or write to your State Members of Parliament:
Mr Mark Coure MP (Oatley)
Phone: (02) 9580 9349
Mr Chris Minns MP (Kogarah)
Phone: (02) 9587 9684
Mr Steve Kamper MP (Rockdale)
Phone: (02) 9597 1414