Kogarah Council gets ready to vote on New City Plan

ARTICLE – March 22, 2016:  St George & Sutherland Shire Leader
Kogarah Council gets ready to vote on New City Plan
By Kahlia Bechert
(Link to the Leader’s online article here)


WARNING: This online article from the St George & Sutherland Shire Leader includes an interactive Google map, which has not been completed to show the extent of the proposed rezoning throughout the Kogarah Local Government Area. For example, it does not show the Blakehurst Precinct’s waterfront rezoning, which has extensive rezoning proposed for high-rise, R3 – medium density (up to 7-storeys) before Tom Ugly’s Bridge.  Please refer to Kogarah City Council’s precinct reports for the maps for your consideration of the proposed areas for rezoning.     – UKCRA


Kogarah Council has released its report on the New City Plan ahead of an extraordinary council meeting on Monday, April 4.

Since the new city plan was given the go-ahead by the state government in late 2014 sections of the community have been up in arms, fearing that Kogarah will be over-developed and lose its character.

Following the public exhibition period from March to May last year the council received 1879 submissions comprising: 1095 proforma objections from 400 households; 375 individual letters of objection from 292 households; and 330 individual letters of support from 258 households.

The majority were concerned about residential zoning changes and density and height-of-building increases.

Late on Monday Kogarah Council released a report on the plan outlining its recommendations ahead of a council vote on April 4.

Despite strong resident opposition only minor changes were made.

Under the plan building heights of up to 39 metres are recommended for the Kogarah Town Centre.

Heights along Railway Parade will range from nine to 12 metres.

It would also allow a 0.5:1 floor space ratio bonus for sites which amalgamate in streets bounded by Gray Street, Railway parade and English Street.

Despite objections from residents and the Member for Kogarah Chris Minns the plan will keep the proposed changes to zoning and height increases along the Princes Highway corridor.

It will also go ahead with changes to zoning in South Hurstville that will allow for heights of up to 21 metres despite the objection by Member for Banks David Coleman.

It has also recommended to go ahead with plans to change the current low density residential zones to medium density residential zones in precincts at Allawah, Beverley Park, Blakehurst, Carlton, Hurstville, Oatley, Kogarah, Sans Souci and South Hurstville.

However planned reclassification of land in Stuart Crescent in Blakehurst and Wyong Street in Oatley has been removed from the latest report.

Kogarah resident Suzanne O’Connor said locals have been left bitterly disappointed with the plan.

She was particularly concerned about the recommendation to increase height limits to 21 metres in buildings surrounding historic home Sunnyside in Kogarah Bay

‘’I feel council hasn’t been here to do the best for us,’’ she said.

‘’They have so far ignored our pleas.

‘’That’s why we want to get everyone down to the meeting to have their say.’’

To view the full report go to http://www.kogarahnewcityplan.com.au.

Advertisements


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s